December 04 2019 – May Ann Reyes
How to revitalize your synthetic wig
The mythical Phoenix always rises from its ashes. I bet you already know how to style a wig when it's new, right? But did you know that your old synthetic wig can still be used? That's right! Don't you worry, we've got you covered. But first we're going to talk about how to wash your synthetic wigs and what sort of tools you should be using.
There are various ways to style your synthetic wig, and all of it can be done by you, right in the comfort of your very own home. Let's take you through the processes of reviving your synthetic wig.
Synthetic Wig Reviving Tips
- Style your wig when and only when it is completely dry. After washing your wigs, the water retained in it has the ability to straighten the curls as well as ruin the style pattern, so it is wiser to let the water completely dry, if you don't want to ruin the curl pattern as well as the wig cap itself.
- Use a foam head or wig stand for the styling process. This will give you more freedom as well as a wider angle range to style from. Click here to check out our selection of wig stands for perfect storage and styling.
- Avoid using your regular hair brush. Your synthetic wig is not natural, so the brush used shouldn't be the same. Using a brush that is specific for wigs is important. You want to make sure that you're taking care of the fibers of the wig. If you don't have a wig brush, we have some awesome selections.
- Avoid using natural hair styling products on your synthetic wig. Human hair wigs do tend to last longer. However, synthetic wigs can last quite awhile too with proper maintenance. Using products like heat protectants, hair sprays, and gels can do more harm than good. Your best bet is to use wig styling specially formulated products for your synthetic wig to give it that refreshing look and style after it's dried.
- Go for steam instead of heat tools. Since synthetic wigs are made from a type of plastic, you will get more results from steaming the hair. Using hair straighteners, curling irons and other heat tools will ruin the synthetic fiber of the wig.
How to Wash Your Synthetic Wig
If your wig isn't looking as sleek as before. No need to worry, with the following items, you can refresh it and get it back to looking amazing. Here are some things you'll need:
- Laundry Detergent.
- Fabric Softener.
- Hair dryer & Steamer (optional).
- Care kits.
n just a few easy steps, your synthetic wig will be refreshed and ready to go!
- Mix the laundry detergent with the fabric softener. The laundry detergent acts as the shampoo, while the fabric softener acts as the hair conditioner. Soak your wig for an hour or overnight in most extreme cases.
- Continuously rinse in cold water till the water becomes clear and then dry it. You can do this by using a dry cloth or a towel.
- Put it on your wig stand or foam wig head.
- Use rollers and roll up the hair, then if possible use a steamer to steam the synthetic fibers into place. From there either let it air dry or use a hair dryer.
- Apply care kits.